Week Thirteen: Astro City #1 by Kurt Busiek

Immediately my thoughts are Marvel, which I have never actually been too much into. I've seen plenty of the movies (obviously, really who hasn't???) but I have never found myself craving to watch any for the second, third or forth time, like I know many of the masses do. However, I do think the illustration and the storyline is entertaining, exciting and very appealing to the eye.

One of the first panels of Astro City (I don't even know if it is considered in the story line, as it was more of an intro) simply states "in my dreams I fly." 1. I think this sets the tone for ambition and 2. I think its personable. I don't know about you but in my dreams I can fly and I've dreamt about it countless times (don't judge me, you know you want to fly too).

As I continued reading the storyline, I felt more connected to the character. As he is "flying" he is on a high with life. He states he is embraced by the clouds who are his friends, he is serene, the wind tousles his hair, etc. which is totally amazing. I could feel his positive energy and its exactly how I imagine flying would be, simply happy and peaceful. Hilariously true, the characters alarm clock goes off interrupting his peaceful dreams; something I can relate to on a MAJOR level. I have literally been woken up (or should I say seriously disturbed) so many times by the tacky noise Apple have chosen appropriate for a morning tune.

I think its interesting to depict this idea that in your dreams you are at peace, happiness, serenity, etc. and as the real world interrupts, you feel frustrated and dreary. Not saying this happens to everyone, however I know I have felt this way so many times when waking up and starting a new day. Lately, I have dedicated my thought process to not only embracing these amazing dreams I have but also embracing the morning that follows, as it is reality and it is truly just as exciting as the "dreamworld." I mean really, we control our own happiness, our own thoughts, so why not make them positive??? In reading Asto City, I wish I could speak to Asa and remind him this when he is woken by his painfully annoying alarm clock.


Comments

Popular Posts