Week Ten: Ranma Book 1 by Rumiko Takahashi

Being foreign to comics (as you all know by know), the reading I did this week actually looked a little bit familiar to me. The illustration of the characters are definitely those I have seen before knowing what anime is (my little brother is a frequent when it comes to anime).

When first diving into Ranma Book 1 by Rumiko Takahashi I felt a little scatter brained. What I mean by this is that the dialog throughout the panels confused me. It was as if I could not depict who was saying what and really what was happening. I found myself tracking back on the panels to re-read and understand fully what was going on. Especially when it came to Ranma being female and male; I just did not really understand at first and I felt just as confused as the other characters in the story. Reading on, it started to make more sense to me and I realized that Ranma and his father's experience in training made them able to morph into other beings.

In regards to the story-line itself, I enjoyed it. It was fun and seemed like somewhat of a classic in the comics world (and anime world; are they even different in anyway??? I hope this does not offend anyone, just a foreigner here trying to understand).

I almost wish I could view this comic in video form so I could have easily understood the storyline more.

Comments

Popular Posts