Week Twelve: My Friend Irma by Stan Lee

My Friend Irma is hands-down one of my favorite comics that I have read this semester. After reading the first short comic where Irma and Al go on the Quiz Show on TV, I couldn't stop reading. She is SO ditzy, dumb and sassy but happy go-lucky at the same damn time. Her sarcasm (or should I say stupidity, I can't tell?), especially, while she was on the quiz show reminded me of my attitude at times when I don't wanna "deal" with people (specifically my boyfriend or step-dad, no shame).

In one of the scenes Jane pulls Irma aside and says to her "every time you open your mouth you put your foot in it" and Irma's response is "I wondered what tasted so funny," I mean need I say more? I almost question whether or not the writer wants us to understand if Irma knows just how dumb she is or if she knows it and likes to play along like a little game.

The comic overall reminded me of Archie because of the illustration. It was almost identical actually; I feel like I am missing something here. Are they related in anyway?

Comments

Popular Posts