Week Eight: March: Book One & Stereotypes

The first thing that caught my eye when opening March: Book One was the level of illustration that was used to portray the story. In comparison to the previous comics that I have read this semester, the graphics were much more developed and detailed. It was pretty impressive to my eye and allowed me to dive deeper into the story (or make it more realistic versus more cartoon-ish). Another thing about March: Book One that I could not ignore was the choice of race in the characters. I have not read a comic thus far where the majority of the characters were not white, It was quite refreshing and appropriate considering the storyline.

I do not mean to offend anyone by expressing refreshment with this comics use of more than one race. What I mean by refreshing is that I think it is appropriate to explore and portray not only races that make up our country today but also the stereotypes that are targeted at each race, person, gender, etc. because they're realistic. Stereotypes, although I may not (and mostly DO NOT) agree with them, are still very much powerful today within society. So, I think it would be a false representation of our world and what people "believe" (right or wrong... mostly wrong though) if they were not portrayed through art.

As a middle-upper class white female who grew up in America, I did not experience many stereotypes throughout my childhood. However one of the stereotypes I can easily remember was when I first got to college in 2014 and joined a sorority. My eyes were opened up to many different stereotypes within a college community. My sorority was targeted as the "rich girls who did cocaine" which always made me laugh because in college I one, struggled to pay for my sorority (and was certainly not "rich," hello, COLLEGE STUDENT) and two, did not do drugs, especially cocaine. Aside from my own sorority, there were many other stereotypes that floated around in the environment that was concentrated with 18-21 year olds.

Today, with the Feminist movement being so pronoun within society, I think stereotypes against women are far more in the spotlight than they ever have been. Although I do not consider myself a Feminist and do not agree with their views, I can clearly see the way they have broken down and fought against the many stereotypes women have faced throughout the years.

Comments

Popular Posts